We’re here to make money work for everyone and we’re doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We’re focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people’s lives through Monzo.
About the team:
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to work in our Platform Collective. You’ll be managing two teams – Engineering Experience and Mobile Platform.
Our mission in Platform is to create engineering effectiveness. Our aim is to make it as easy as possible for our product engineers to focus on our customers – running experiments, shipping fast, and iterating quickly. As we scale, the pace we can do those things should only get faster.
One of the many things that makes being an engineer great at Monzo is our investment in engineering tooling. We provide simple abstractions on top of our platform so our engineers can focus on solving problems for our customers. We’re the teams that enable our engineers to ship to production over 100 times a day.
Mobile Platform has a mission to offer a world class mobile development platform for our Android and iOS engineers. They own our mobile build, test and deploy tooling, our mobile observability stack, and the libraries used by mobile engineers every day. They solve common problems across our mobile discipline to help engineers move faster and ensure our apps are globally scalable and performant.
Engineering Experience is a squad that we’re currently bootstrapping. Initially they’ll own our Experimentation and Feature Flag tooling, and will be focused 100% on enabling our backend engineers to move fast. Over time you’ll grow this team, building new and adopting existing capabilities that enable our engineers. This squad has grown out from our existing Backend Platform team. Backend Platform currently owns all of our backend engineer tooling – including our deployment tooling, our testing framework, and our observability stack.
You’ll need to be an Engineering Manager who’s passionate about engaging directly with your customers. Your customers are Monzo engineers, and as such, you’ll need to be comfortable putting your Product hat on and deeply understanding their needs. You’ll influence and drive our engineering experience roadmap, ensuring we’re working on the most impactful projects to help all of our engineers move even faster than they can today. This area will be yours to grow, partnering with other Engineering Managers and engineers across our Platform and Product teams to help shape our future.
You’ll spend your time:
- Taking accountability for delivery across your squad(s), collaborating with Technical Leads and our Technical Program Manager
- Actively fostering a high bar for engineering excellence within your teams. You’re accountable for the technical outcomes your teams deliver alongside individual engineer performance and growth, so holding a high bar (and clearly articulating your expectations clearly) is key
- You’ll initially lead a group of around 8-10 engineers and support, coach and develop them through their career with regular 1:1s and continuous feedback
- Partnering with senior engineers in your area to drive technical initiatives that raise the bar for our engineering practices.
- Gathering and analysing feedback from your customers to ensure your team are solving the most impactful problems
- Leading on communication with stakeholders from other teams, creating focus space for engineers to do their best work
- Collaborating with the wider engineering organisation to contribute to company-wide best managerial and technical practices and standards
You should apply if:
While this is not a role which requires hands-on-coding, we are looking for an experienced manager who has a strong technical and delivery background and has worked as a software engineer in previous roles.
We recognise that engineering managers lead in different ways, we’re looking for someone who:
- Is comfortable operating with ambiguous problem areas with a high degree of autonomy
- It’s a bonus if you have experience working in an experimentation led environment
- Has delivery experience and is able to guide the squads in achieving their outcomes
- Focuses on outcomes over processes, who optimises for the highest impact and leverage
- Is able to input, understand and challenge engineering decisions – but to empower the team to make those decisions themselves
- Has an understanding of what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and ability to chart a course to get there
- Is able to to coach people to achieve their goals
- Has a natural ability to inspire and motivate a team
- We consider your application across all open EM roles at Monzo independent of which role you’ve applied for, so if you’ve recently applied to a similar role at Monzo and have been unsuccessful, please wait 6 months before applying again.
The interview process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages:
- A 30 min intro with a member of our recruitment team.
- A 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, specifically focusing on the 3 aspects of the EM role at Monzo (people leadership, product delivery, and technical leadership).
- A 3 stage final-round interview, split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management and leadership interviews.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on [email protected].
What’s in it for you:
💰Base salary range for this role is between £100k – £140k depending on experience + equity + stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we’re open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
We’re usually always hiring for Engineering Managers, so there’s no closing date for this job.Diversity & Inclusivity:
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.