Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco, New York and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you’ll be interested in joining us!
The success of our customers depends on excellent design: Watershed is a power-tool for turning data into climate action and every detail matters. We are building software for businesses to understand their climate data, act on their insights, and communicate internally and externally about their progress.
- To lead this work, we’re looking for someone who:
- Has created excellent products that users love, particularly products that tame complexity with the right balance of simplicity and power.
- Has a strong eye for visual polish.
- Is customer-obsessed and excited to spend time with users.
- Is an expert in some dimension of product design, visual design, or data visualization. With skill and familiarity across others.
- Is skilled in designing for the web. Hands-on engineering experience is great but not necessary.
- Is excited to go deep on climate and become an expert on the economy’s paths forward. Prior experience in the climate space is not necessary.
- Wants to join a startup, take responsibility for the fate of the company, and move fast.
Examples of things that you might work on next week at Watershed:
- Design the first version of a tool to help users model the carbon reduction levers in their business.
- Design improvements to the analytics and reporting features to help users go deeper in understanding their companies’ historical emissions.
- Crack the challenge of how to visualize climate data in an intelligible and motivating way.
- Implement those visual designs and give them to our customers to share on the web and as printed artifacts.
- Talk to users to decide on upcoming product direction based on their feedback (“should we build X or Y or neither?”).
- Iterate on Watershed’s public brand.
- Work with the rest of the team to set overall company direction, sales goals, and hiring goals.
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco, New York and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / New York / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed’s return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in June 2021, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We’re particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one’s, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We’re also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We’re a COVID-cautious company. The office is open to vaccinated team members and we’ll continue to pay close attention to case rates to ensure it’s safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we’d love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job. There maybe certain jobs that will need X years of experience, and will be specifically noted in the job description.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.Diversity & Inclusivity:
CULTIVATE A DIVERSE TEAM — We strive to build a company where people from all backgrounds feel welcomed and empowered to lead and succeed.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.