Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco, New York and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you’ll be interested in joining us!
Watershed is building the most complete data set on the carbon emissions of the global economy. With the help of our customers, we collect real data on companies’ operations and global supply chains, which we combine with research data sets and our own forecasts and models to calculate each company’s carbon emissions.
We’re looking for data analysts to own this core part of Watershed’s operation. You’ll be fully responsible for transforming raw business activity data into final carbon numbers, and ensuring our customers understand how we got there. You’ll also play a foundational role in shaping Watershed’s tools, product, and measurement approaches for years to come. You will own the measurement process for customers from end to end.
As part of this work, you will:
- Partner with our Customer Success Managers to define our data needs to complete each measurement.
- Ingest and transform unstructured data sets so that they’re ready for processing in our automated carbon data pipelines.
- Use our internal tooling to calculate, test, and publish finalized carbon footprint assessments.
- Work with customers to help them upload the correct raw data (on everything from electricity consumption to cheese purchases to Bitcoin transactions) to measure their footprint, and to validate what’s been uploaded. You’ll work closely with our customer-facing teams on this.
- Build and augment internal tools and methodologies that improve our ability to analyze, understand, and validate user carbon footprints.
You might be a fit if you:
- Have 2+ years experience in an analytical and/or customer-facing role.
- Have experience writing SQL queries, or have a quantitative background and desire to learn!
- Are meticulous and detail-obsessed. You won’t rest until you get the numbers right.
- Are organized, systematic, and efficient. You thrive in a high-volume environment.
- Are willing to roll up your sleeves to work with unstructured and inconsistent data. You have good intuition for how numbers in a table map to the real world.
- Are an excellent verbal and written communicator, and are excited to dig in with our customers as we collect data to measure their footprint.
- Are passionate about solving climate change and excited to contribute to doing so at a fast paced startup.
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco, New York and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / New York / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed’s return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in June 2021, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We’re particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one’s, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We’re also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We’re a COVID-cautious company. The office is open to vaccinated team members and we’ll continue to pay close attention to case rates to ensure it’s safe for everybody.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.Diversity & Inclusivity:
CULTIVATE A DIVERSE TEAM — We strive to build a company where people from all backgrounds feel welcomed and empowered to lead and succeed.
To apply for this job please visit watershed.com.